Re: emacs-Xtra

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs-Xtra
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 23:20:16 -0400

The stuff about VC that's in the Emacs manual is there because it is
important enough that we should keep it in the printed manual.  At
least, I think it's that important; that's why I decided to keep it
there.

    1) VC has its own manual like PCL-CVS does.

That would be no good because this would be missing from the printed
manual.

    2) All the programming/development topics are moved to a separate manual
       (Emacs IDE?) and only the obscure stuff is left in emacs-Xtra.

If this means splitting the Emacs Manual into two manuals, both of which
we would print, maybe that is a good idea--but how would we split it?

(Version control is not used solely for editing programs, so including
VC in a manual for "editing programs with Emacs" would not be right.)