Re: emacs-Xtra

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: emacs-Xtra
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:39:42 -0400

On 14 Apr 2006, address@hidden wrote:

> Dividing the manual into 2 volumes doesn't solve the problem which is
> the main cause for trying to keep the manual's size down.  The main
> cause is that a larger manual increases the price of printing the
> books, and thus makes it harder for the FSF to publish new versions.
> (I'm guessing that publishing 2 volumes will increase the price even
> more.)

By the same reasoning the FSF should not publish a two-part ELisp
reference manual, because half of it could be online and it's cheaper
to publish one book.  I think that's false reasoning.  If the price is
prohibitive, let the FSF decide *that*, but Emacs certainly contains
enough for two and even three manuals, so we should not start with the
assumption that we have to have a smaller manual.  Remember also that
two books will increase revenue, not just costs - but as I said,
that's for the FSF to decide.

FWIW, I would gladly buy a better manual in two volumes.

Ted