Re: M-x normal-mode and local variables

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: M-x normal-mode and local variables
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:22:08 -0400

> I'm interested in hearing more opinions about whether M-x normal-mode
> should query, or just install all local variables.

I think using M-x normal-mode is sufficiently uncommon that we shouldn't try
too hard to streamline it.  So I vote to have it query.  Especially since
there's no guarantee that the user actually checked the local variables
before calling M-x normal-mode, so blindly obeying the local variables could
be dangerous in some scenarios.

After all, if the query is annoying, the answer is not to make M-x
normal-mode less interactive but to add the relevant var/val pairs to
safe-local-variable-values.

        Stefan