Re: Using proportional fonts in Gnus

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Using proportional fonts in Gnus
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 16:03:42 +0900

On 4/17/06, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> > For instance a "super tab" text property saying "align to colum N (or
> > leave M units of whitespace if already there)"; maybe some degree of
> > indirection would be useful so one need not rewrite the buffer text to
> > change N dynamically.
>
> I don't see the original message anywhere in this list, so perhaps I
> misunderstand the issue.  But if I do understand it, then there're no
> columns when proportional fonts are used.

Well, the actual units to use is of course one detail to figure out.

However I do think there are "columns" in the sense that for instance
if you specify a proportional default font, emacs will figure out
window size which is 80 "columns", and will choose some size to use
for tabs (which are defined in terms of columns).  It's not an absurd
concept: you just pick some character to use in definining what a
column is, for instance SPC.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.