Re: Space after inline comment char

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Space after inline comment char
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 07:55:13 -0400

>>> That will result in
>>> ; foo
>>> whereas it should be
>>> ;; foo
>>
>> Good point.  I believe the patch below has fixed it,

> It did.  I still think it would be nice if one could control spaces
> after comment starterts with `comment-padding' _everywhere_,
> i.e. after comment starters inserted by `comment-indent' as well.
> That would feel more consistent.  But then, the doc string of
> `comment-padding' only talks about `comment-region'.

When I re-implemented the comment commands in newcomment.el, I just
preserved this part of the behavior (that comment-padding only applies to
comment-region but not to comment-indent).

I don't know what was the original motivation for it (if any), but without
introducting a separate comment-indent-padding, changing the behavior would
have meant that I'd have removed some functionality (the ability to
(indirectly) specify different amounts of padding), so I decided to keep it
as is.

        Stefan