Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:09:06 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> And it offers no reasonable way to actually get both: prompting for the
>> parts, and a final opportunity for editing the resulting command before
>> sending it off.
>
> Shell command completion support would go a long way towards
> making the difference irrelevant.
>
> Also it ocurred to me that grep-tree should put the resulting command onto
> grep-find's history.
>
>> I think the latter is important enough to offer this with a prefix
>> argument,
>
> It's not currently possible, and it's the first time I hear a
> request for it, so it doesn't seem particularly important.

Of _course_ this is the first request you hear for it because the
changes that would make it convenient have not even been made.

grep-find _currently_ offers to edit the command and nobody complained
about that.  So I don't see how this sanctifies to take away that
possibility without an easy way of accessing it in case of need, short
of redefining an alias.

For what it's worth, AUCTeX's command dispatcher will understand a
prefix-command as a request to edit the command that is going to be
sent to the shell, and this functionality has been added because it
was requested.