Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:10:48 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> So what you suggest is that the current grep-tree should replace
>>> grep-find/find-grep as the default interface, and the current
>>> grep-find functionality should be selected if a prefix arg is
>>> specified.
>
>> This is somewhat radical and might surprise people.
>
> Surprise is not bad.

If you're producing a horror film, perhaps. But not in a UI. ;-)

I agree with Eli--there are way too many grep commands (and that was
before I just learned about grep-tree). find-grep is redundant with
grep's -r and --include options. grep-tree is redundant with
find-grep.

We only need two: grep (which shows you the grep hits) and grep-dired
(which lists the matched files in dired). The default UIs for both
should be simple (like grep-tree), but should allow editing of the
command with the prefix argument.

Another thought: it would be nice if the -i option were passed to grep
if case-fold-search is t.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD