Re: Last steps for pretesting (true file names in load-history?)

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting (true file names in load-history?)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:53:19 +0000 (GMT)

Evening again, Stefan!

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> (iv) A problem in Emacs (See: Subject: Problem mit symlinks,
>> locate-library and load-history.  Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2006).  This is
>> caused by (a) load-history storing a promiscuous mix of true file names
>> and file names containing symbolic links; (b) eval-after-load only
>> recognising files as being already loaded if they're the ones currently
>> showing on load-path.  I've half-solved this problem by writing a
>> function to search load-history properly, which I posted to emacs-devel.
>> Richard tentatively approved it.  Would it be possible to define
>> load-history such that all file names in it are true names?

>As mentioned in that thread, I think it's better to "truify" names
>on-the-fly when you need it rather than directly inside load-history.

I think that's wrong.

Every time you evaluate an eval-after-load form, you've got to scan the
list of loaded files in load-history.  The way you suggest, the names in
load-history would need to be "truified" (Hey, that's a lovely word!)
many times, once for each eval-after-load.

If you "truify" the names as you enter them into load-history, you only
need to do it once.

However, I think it is urgently necessary to define rigorously what file
name goes into load-history.  The lack of this rigour is what triggered a
bug in CC Mode "File mode specification error: (void-variable
c-font-lock-keywords-3)".

I think the absolute true file name would be the best.

--
Alan.