Re: pop-to-buffer does not change input focus

From: Lars Hansen
Subject: Re: pop-to-buffer does not change input focus
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:57:29 +0200

David Reitter wrote:

> With `pop-up-frames' set to t, `pop-to-buffer' will show a new frame
> with the buffer given. But if a frame showing that buffer already
> exists, this buffer is selected, the frame is raised, but it does not
> get input focus.

I can confirm it, on Debian stable with Gnome and with an Emacs checked
out and compiled a couple of hours ago started with -Q.
And display-buffer has the same problem.

Reading the code of Fdisplay_buffer, it seem to me that it ends up
calling Fraise_frame which calls Fmake_frame_visible. So maybe theses
functions has a problem. This is what I see:

1. If a frame is hidden (partly or completely) behind the selected
frame, raise-frame brings it to the top but it does not get input focus.
2. If a frame is hidden (partly or completely) behind the selected
frame, make-frame-visible does nothing!
3. If a frame is iconified, raise-frame as well as make-frame-visible
deiconifies it but it ends up behind the selected frame and it does not
get input focus.

BTW, are raise-frame and make-frame-visible supposed to give input focus
to the frame? The doc strings say nothing. And what is really the
difference between these two functions?