Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: address@hidden: grep-tree doesn't shell-quote-argument]
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 01:02:38 +0200

>     Below is a patch which merges grep-tree into grep-find, with
>     the new grep-tree interface as the default API, while a C-u
>     prefix requests using the old grep-find interface.
>
> That makes it an incompatible change.  grep-find has existed since
> years ago; grep-tree is new.
>
> We could avoid that incompatible change by making grep-find
> with C-u implement the grep-tree behavior.

The old grep-find interface is "a hack" (a  way to
start a compile-like command which runs find | grep.

> Is there some specific reason you propose the incompatible way?

IMO, the grep-tree API is better (higher-level, non-technical) than the old
interface (low-level, technical, requires knowledge in shell command syntax).

Techinical users which prefers the old interface can just customize
grep-find-prompt-style.

But I really think that even technical users will prefer the new
interface.  It's much simpler to use, doing the same job in most cases
-- and it automatically skips CVS subdirectories (and other VC-related
directories when I get around to adding them) which makes good sense.