Re: PURESIZE increased (again)

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: PURESIZE increased (again)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:29:07 -0500 (CDT)

Bill Wohler wrote:

   Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   > Again, this is 170KB growth, certainly not a negligible amount of
   > memory.

   That growth is .35% of my 48 MB Emacs process, so for what it's worth,
   *I* think it's negligible ;-).

When I suggested that it even _might_ be a problem, I somehow saw a
zero too many, I thought it was 1.7M (I should have looked more
carefully), in which case it could have been something that _might_ be
worth worrying about.

Given that it only is 170K, I agree that it is obvious that this
increase represents no problem whatsoever and that we should not worry
about it.

When I start Emacs with `emacs -q -nbc', the original memory usage is
9856K.  But when I start actually using it, the Megs start growing
immediately.  For instance, if all I do in my freshly launched Emacs,
is `M-x customize-browse' and open all top level groups to get a basic
overview (by clicking on the `+' next to it and then closing it back
by clicking on the `-'), the memory used goes up to 19568K.  (That is
opening _only_ the top level groups, no subgroups at all.)  And then
something apparently added an extra 8K to it quite a while after I
stopped using the Emacs (probably font-lock or redisplay).

If you have so little memory that 170K is worth worrying about, you
quite simply have not enough memory to run Emacs (and _definitely_ not
enough memory to run things like Gnome, KDE or common web browsers
like Mozilla).  If you have so little memory that even 10K is
non-negligible, I have no idea what you could run.  Not even vi, which
takes exactly 1 Meg.  Since I doubt that vi really requires _exactly_ 1M,
even vi, which is especially designed to work on systems with very
little memory, does not seem to care about small fudge factors like 10K.

Sincerely,

Luc.