Re: Possible redisplay performance enhancements (revisited)

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Possible redisplay performance enhancements (revisited)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:14:04 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden> writes:

> I suspect get_glyph_face_and_encoding is not needed if `struct glyph'
> contains `char2b' info and it is filled in append_glyph.  That would
> reduce the number of calls to rif->encode_char and enhance the
> performance when CCL is thoroughly used as in Mac.

I once heard from Gerd that struct glyph is designed to be
short as far as possible.  So we must be very careful in
incresing that size.  But, it seems that the current member
u.ch is almost useless.  I think it is better to store a
glyph code (unsigned) here.  But...

> But such a change might be too drastic to do at this
> stage.

I fully agree.

---
Kenichi Handa