Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 17:20:48 -0400

> I say to you again - your solution is not robust.  I don't think it's
> been tried at all (correct me if I'm wrong).

Of course it has, in smerge-mode (since Emacs-21.1) which I use daily, in
cvs-status (since Emacs-21.1) in perl-mode (since some time in late 2004
IIRC), in sh-script.el (a bit before perl-mode IIRC), in message.el (where
it's been buggy at times because I didn't understand that I needed
a font-lock-default-fontify-region hook).

They do all suffer from the missing font-lock-default-fontify-region hook,
just like your code, of course.

> So - please leave the better tested mechanism in place.

I don't claim it's buggy or even more buggy than font-lock-multiline.
It's just an ugly kludge, much more heavyweight codewise (this is
objectively the case in terms of lines of code, and I hope my comparison
above convinces a few more people that it's also subjectively the case).

        Stefan