Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Last steps for pretesting (font-lock-extend-region-function)
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:03:47 -0400

>> you talk as if I wanted to remove a well-established hook in favor of
>> some new fangled feature, whereas the font-lock-multiline property is
>> the one that's been in Emacs since 21.1, whereas your hook is the one
>> that's new and that you want to add to Emacs-22.

> It has already been added.

It hasn't been added in released code yet.

> I'm desperately trying to stop you from taking it away again, because that
> would make my (Emacs) life much more difficult.

Actually no: as I've shown with my sample alternative solution, it would
only force you to make you life simpler.

>> I think in order to justify this new hook you need to show that the
>> pre-existing font-lock-multiline solution is not good enough in some
>> cases.

> I don't.  I merely need to point out that Richard specifically asked for
> this hook to be installed.

No: he agreed to install it after you claimed it was needed.  As a matter of
fact, it was needed in font-lock-default-fontify-region (where you didn't
add it) but not in font-lock-after-change-function.

> When he did so, he was aware that it was called from an
> after-change function.

It seemed clear to him that an "extend-region" hook was a good idea and we
all agree that it is.  But I highly doubt it that he took the time to
understand enough to be able to judge whether placing it in
font-lock-after-change-function was a good choice or not.

        Stefan