Re: preferred vs. running browser

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: preferred vs. running browser
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:00:45 -0400

>> Wouldn't it be better to add some code so that a browser which
>> is currently running is always tried first?
> Can someone figure out how to do that?

I'm not sure it's an important feature (some may even think it's
a misfeature).  But one way to attack it (short of looking at the list of
running processes) is to look at timestamps on "witness" files: most
browsers modify/create some of the user's config files at startup (and/or
while running).  E.g. ~/.firefox/default/*/lock or some such.

I'm afraid it won't be 100% reliable, tho.

        Stefan