Re: Getting the click position in a string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Getting the click position in a string
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:17:51 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to fix mouse.el so that it can heed follow-link properties
> in display strings.  But it does not appear that the mouse click info
> gives the requisite position information: there is posn-string, and
> there is posn-point, but it does not look like there is
> posn-string-pos or whatever else which would be able to pinpoint the
> actual position within a string that is used as a display property or
> before-string or after-string.
>
> Consequently, one can't fetch the text property at the position of the
> click in such a string.
>
> Am I wrong here?

On another tangent, is this change ok?  For implementing follow-link,
I need to take a look at the follow-link binding in the keymap of a
click, not the binding of the click itself.

Incidentally, this function looks faulty: it should search the keymap
_and_ the local-map property (in _that_ order) instead of searching at
most one of the two, even if that search would fail.

Apart from fixing it and adding an optional key argument, is help.el
the right place for it?