Re: ATSUI support on Carbon Emacs

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: ATSUI support on Carbon Emacs
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:50:28 +0900

> I'm going to enable ATSUI support at last.

I forgot to tell about one thing: I'll not enable ATSUI support on the
emacs-unicode-2 branch this time for some reasons:

  * Future of the Carbon port is uncertain (I mean the switch to
    Cocoa, of course) and I doubt it's worth doing now.

  * Font handling mechanism is likely to change.
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-04/msg00232.html

  * Actually, there are several aspects to consider for that branch.
    My first impression that ATSUI support is easier for the
    emacs-unicode-2 branch seems to be wrong.  Some functionalities
    such as composition and font fall-back are both in emacs-unicode-2
    and in ATSUI, and they must be carefully coordinated.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden