Re: Getting the click position in a string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Getting the click position in a string
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:52:59 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>>
>>> On another tangent, is this change ok?  For implementing follow-link,
>>> I need to take a look at the follow-link binding in the keymap of a
>>> click, not the binding of the click itself.
>>
>> Looks ok to me.
>
>> -- but in any case, it should look for the keymap property before
>> the local-map property.
>>
>> But it seems easy to fix it to DTRT.
>
> I will do a fix which looks in both keymaps.  Maybe there should be
> something like posn-key-binding which looks through _all_ relevant
> keymaps at the point of a click (which would include the various
> buffer-local and global maps)?

Well, here is the current patch.

But I increasingly feel that this is not the right way to go, the
whole function should get dissed out, and instead we should have
something like

(posn-key-binding event &optional accept-default remap key)

or something like that (maybe as a primitive C function), and the
event loop and help functions and so should consistently use that.