Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:26:59 +0200

>     There's still the remaining issue whether it is _desired_ to load tramp
>     on ordinary file name completion.
>
> I do not understand the question.  Would you please show me the precise
> scenario in which you propose Tramp should be loaded?

"/" matches `tramp-completion-file-name-regexp'. Any single
(expand-file-name "/") loads Tramp after my recent changes.

That's not new, because it's a similar story with Emacs 21 and
`ange-ftp-completion-hook-function'. The only difference is that
Ange-FTP is loaded only for `file-name-completion´, whereas
Tramp is loaded in more cases.

I was thinking about a customer option, which let's the user decide
whether (s)he wants Tramp hostname completion. If decided for NO,
Tramp would be loaded only when a remote file is requested.

Best regards, Michael.