Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 05:47:55 +0900

> Maybe that was the wrong question. Tramp will be known better when it
> is shipped with Emacs 22. So you should ask around who's using
> ange-ftp, _this_ are potential Tramp users.

In my experience tramp is _much_ slower than even ange-ftp (in all ways,
but especially establishing connections).  I think this severely limits
its utility for general use, and potential audience.

Because of this I think the hostname (etc) completion are something that
probably don't really matter very much to most users (and I suppose may
even confuse those not expecting them -- I don't known the full list of
syntaxes which trigger them), and thus that it would be fine to enable
them only if tramp has been loaded (or enabled or whatever).

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?