Re: Getting the click position in a string

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Getting the click position in a string
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:55:32 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well, XEmacs has opaque keymaps and/or events, I believe.  For
>> Emacs, both keymaps as well as events can be cons cells, so I am
>> not sure eventp and keymapp will always be able to tell them apart.
>
> How's that relevant?  key-binding would not need to distinguish
> keymaps from events, but keys from events.

key-binding already looks up events or keys, so I suppose you are
confused about what I was proposing.  The purpose is to look up a key
such as [follow-link] in the chain of keymaps corresponding to a click
event.

So the event takes the place of the keymap, not of the key.  If you
set both key and keymap to the same event, you can look up the binding
of an event in the chain of keymaps associated with the click
position.

If the key is [follow-link] and the keymap is the event, then
[follow-link] will be searched for in all corresponding keymaps.