Re: tool-bar-setup overwrites local tool-bar-map

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: tool-bar-setup overwrites local tool-bar-map
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:04:32 -0400

    > To see what should have happened:
    >
    >   emacs22 -Q
    >   M-x tool-bar-mode
    >
    > Note how Preferences and Help icons are present.
    >
    >   M-x info
    >
    > Note how Preferences and Help icons are absent.

In what sense is that "what should have happened"?  I do not follow.

Shouldn't the Preferences and Help icons always be present?

    No, I may not ;-). It breaks the idiom from the tool-bar-add-item
    documentation, namely:

              (defvar foo-tool-bar-map
                (let ((tool-bar-map (make-sparse-keymap)))
                  (tool-bar-add-item ...)
                  tool-bar-map))

    It also did some mean and nasty things to the MH-E toolbar. The
    following patch (to tool-bar-setup) seems to be working a little better.

What are you asking us to do?