RE: Tramp & Cygwin (was: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tramp & Cygwin (was: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 07:19:47 -0700

    > There are "plink" methods for working with PuTTY's command-line
    > terminal. I think Cygwin's ssh port expects to be run from an
    > interactive Cygwin bash shell, so doesn't work well under Emacs.

    I've spent several weeks trying to make Tramp running with Cygwin's
    ssh. Finally I gave up, because I didn't find a way to cooperate with
    their pseudo tty. Starting Cygwin's bash first, and afterwards ssh
    from there, doesn't work either, IIRC.

    A "cygwinized Emacs", i.e. built under Cygwin, doesn't suffer from this
    problem.

I'm in the first category (Emacs not built under Cygwin, but using Cygwin as
shell), and my experience reflects what you report (IIRC).

    Another workaround is ssh-agent, because the only hurdle to pass is
    the interactive passphrase handover to the shell starting ssh.

    Note that I'm neither an expert in MS Windows nor in Cygwin, just a
    very occasional user. Some people tried to help, also w/o success.

    Because this belongs to the top list of "Tramp's annoyances", I would
    appreciate any new idea what to do.

I appreciate your working on this. It's not a problem that Tramp is not yet
100% for Windows users; the problem I see is that it is now the Emacs
default.