Re: Tramp & Cygwin (was: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tramp & Cygwin (was: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:11:55 +0300

> From: Michael Albinus <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 08:50:49 +0200
> Cc: Drew Adams <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > There are "plink" methods for working with PuTTY's command-line
> > terminal. I think Cygwin's ssh port expects to be run from an
> > interactive Cygwin bash shell, so doesn't work well under Emacs.
>
> I've spent several weeks trying to make Tramp running with Cygwin's
> ssh. Finally I gave up, because I didn't find a way to cooperate with
> their pseudo tty. Starting Cygwin's bash first, and afterwards ssh
> from there, doesn't work either, IIRC.
> [...]
> Because this belongs to the top list of "Tramp's annoyances", I would
> appreciate any new idea what to do.

What's wrong with advising Windows users to use the plink methods,
mentioned by Jason above?  PuTTY (which Plink is part of) is free
software, and AFAIK it is the only good native Windows SSH client.
Why fight an uphill battle with Cygwin pty's when a free solution is
readily available?

My suggestion is to recommend the Cygwin ssh for users of the Cygwin
build, and plink for users of the native Windows build.

(I assume that the plink method does work for an average Windows user;
at least for me it ``just works'', I just tried with a recent CVS.  If
there are known problems with Plink, please tell what they are, or
point me to some URL where I could read about them.)