Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs unconditionally loads tramp.el
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 15:45:48 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> If we go this way, I think it's better to have an explicit option
> rather that ask users to load Tramp.  That's because, no matter how
> well we document this, it's a counter-intuitive kludge.  It is also
> not nice to have behavior changed when a package is loaded that has no
> clear relation to the behavior we are discussing (i.e. host name
> completion).

I've installed a patch in Emacs CVS which activates hostname
completion only when partial-completion-mode is enabled. In its
current definition, partial-completion-mode isn't related to remote
files, but it was the best place I could imagine to use.

Introducing a new customer option instead is still an alternative, and
I'm open to this when there is such a request.

Extracting hostname completion code from Tramp still seems to be too
complex to me. Maybe we can do it later with Tramp 2.1; performing it
now would destabilize Tramp I fear.

Best regards, Michael.