Re: PHP mode in Emacs?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: PHP mode in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:36:21 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
I can really see no way to stop different modes from stomping at each other
with mmm-mode.

That's a failure of imagination; you seem to assume major modes are free to
do whatever they want, but that's not the case: they can technically do what
they want, but it can lead to various problems which are then considered
as bugs in the major mode.

So all we need to do is to come up with a kind of convention for how the
major modes should be written such that they cooperate well with mmm-mode.

        Stefan
Yes, you are right. I thought I was suggesting something like that when I wrote about regions or list of regions for a major mode. Maybe we could suggest an interface for telling the major modes (or minor modes) where to apply themselves? That would be a minimum I guess.