Re: PHP mode and mmm-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: PHP mode and mmm-mode
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:57:23 -0400

> I came to believe while working on mmm-mode that in an ideal world,
> the major-mode architecture would be designed to support being told to
> manage only parts of a buffer.

I think we all agree on that.  But in order to know what that should look
like, I expect several iterations will be needed.  And in order to know how
to get from here to there, we need experimentation.  That's what mmm-mode
is/was for, as far as I'm concerned.
And I believe it is possible to go from here to there progressively.

What I'd like to see from you is not a "let's start over with a great second
system", because we all know what happens with second systems, but a list of
very concrete problems you've encountered by order of importance.  By "very
concrete", I really mean *very*: specific to particular situations with
particular majors modes.  Something where there's a hope we can fix this
particular case by adding one simple convention and changing mmm-mode and
the respecitve major modes to obey or take advantage of that convention.

These should have been sent via M-x report-emacs-bug, years ago already when
working on mmm-mode.  I've always been surprised/disappointed not to see any
feature request from the mmm-mode guy(s).

        Stefan