Emacs/Lisp-related projects for Google Summer of Code with PlanetMath

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Emacs/Lisp-related projects for Google Summer of Code with PlanetMath
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:45:19 -0400 (EDT)

With only one week left to prepare an application in time for Google's
student application deadline, I realize I'm getting this out a bit
late, but nevertheless --

I thought it worthwhile to announce that PlanetMath is listed by
Google as a mentoring organization for this year's Summer of Code,
which means that if you're a student and you can come up with a
convincing-enough proposal, you can get paid good money ($4500USD) to
work on free software this summer (specifically, I'm plugging
PlanetMath, but there are other mentoring organizations).

PlanetMath's brainstormed list of projects is at

 http://planetx.cc.vt.edu/AsteroidMeta/2006_PM_Summer_of_Code_Coordination

I'd like to specifically draw your attention to the three open-ended
items on the "Math Hacking Track",

* Work on some part of the Arxana Xandu-like collaborative authorship
  system (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.sources/1713).

* Parsing "natural language" math, written in LaTeX, into
  computer-friendly math written in LISP.

* Developing proof-checking (and proof-authoring) tools that operate
  using the language mentioned above.

Please get in touch with me via email or the above-mentioned wiki if
you're interested in any of these projects.