Re: A few questions about desktop.el

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: A few questions about desktop.el
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 10:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

>From my previous message:

> The only problem I see is how to inform the user (aside from etc/NEWS)
> that the hook exists, since the behavior with it uncustomized can be
> annoying but it's not an obvious customization locus.  Certainly it could
> be given an obnoxious default value like
> '(announce-the-presence-of-this-hook), but that's silly.  Any ideas?

I haven't addressed this bit, but the attached patch (superceding the
previous one, not combined with it) redoes the locking with a separate
file and adds hook support for the not-loaded case, with useful options
provided via customize.

It also properly disposes of the temporary *desktop* buffer and, as a new
feature, runs the desktop-save-hooks with the *desktop* buffer current
(but still before any inspection of Emacs state is done) so they can be
used to add custom Lisp to the file as well as adjust Emacs state for the
write.

Let me know if it's less rough-cut now.

Davis

shipping.