Re: PHP mode and mmm-mode

From: Nic
Subject: Re: PHP mode and mmm-mode
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 00:44:29 +0100

> "Michael Shulman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> For example, in certain modes (which I don't remember off the
>> top of my head) indentation in submode regions is broken, while in
>> others, quotation marks in one place can adversely affect the
>> font-locking somewhere where they really shouldn't.
>
> Well, that's to be expected, but if a convention for telling modes
> what regions belongs to what modes, then these things can be fixed in
> the relevant major modes.
>
> We're not talking about hundreds of modes, either -- the number of
> modes where mixing types is likely is probably pretty low.  Say
> 10 to 20.

Actually, I don't think that's true.

I often type XML in mail messages, Java buffers, C buffers, LISP
buffers, Javascript buffers, not to mention XSLT buffers.

I often type Javascript in XML buffers, Java buffers, C buffers, LISP
buffers and mail messages.

I think a solution that offered me syntax colouring and completion and
some of the other facilities when in a foreign mode would be a real
boon.

Nic Ferrier