Why should interactive search results raise errors?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Why should interactive search results raise errors?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 18:26:57 +0200

Some interactive search functions raise errors when no hit is found. It is quite annoyning if you have set debug-on-error to t. Is there any reason why this functions raises errors in this cases? Can that be used for anything?

An example is the function in the menu bar: Edit - Search - String Forward. As far as I can see this in only meant to be run interactively. The same goes for viper-search-next.

It would in my opinion be more convenient if these functions just return nil and showed a message when a search fails. Would it not be a good convention for interactive search functions in Emacs?