Re: play-sound-file & esd

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: play-sound-file & esd
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 16:42:58 -0400

    Another issue is the sound drivers in the kernel.  The old OSS drivers does
    not allow more than one open to the sound device, but the newer ALSA
drivers
    do.  The new ALSA drivers are default in the Linux kernel now, so the
original
    problem does not occur if you are using ALSA drivers.

In that case, I think we don't NEED to do anything.

In the future, we might still want to make Emacs talk to esd or to
GStreamer.  If GStreamer will work thru esd, it would be better for
Emacs to use esd.  Is esd used only in GNOME?  Are there other contexts
that use esd but not GStreamer?

    If we still are going to play sound with esd, may I suggest just execing
    esdplay with the file name?

If such a simple method does the job, it is fine with me.