Re: Why should interactive search results raise errors?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Why should interactive search results raise errors?
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 18:58:54 +0900

LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden> writes:
>> If you include the search in a keyboard macro, it will terminate the
>> macro if you repeat it "forever".
>>
>> Perhaps it should only signal an error if executed from a kbd macro?
>
> A good idea in my opinion.

This behavior has been part of Emacs for so long that it seems very
risky to just change it now (and the reasons for the suggested change
pretty obscure).

Also, making non-display behavior dependent on being in a keyboard macro
is pretty ugly; Stefan's solution is a far cleaner way to handle the
"debugger problem."

-Miles
--
"Nah, there's no bigger atheist than me.  Well, I take that back.
I'm a cancer screening away from going agnostic and a biopsy away