Re: should search ring contain duplicates?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: should search ring contain duplicates?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 02:22:59 +0300

>         > I am not interested in considering such a complex proposal.
>
>         There is nothing complex about it (with the latest add-to-history)
>         version.
>
>     I was talking about a different proposal, one involving properties to
>     control lengths.  It was very complex.
>
> To be clear, was it this proposal from Juri:
>
>     A related feature that specifies the maximum length of the history list
>     uses the `history-length' _property_ of the history list _symbol_
>     to override the default value of the _variable_ `history-length'
>     for a particular history list.  Exactly the same thing could be
>     implemented for `history-delete-duplicates', i.e. the property
>     `history-delete-duplicates' would override its default value
>     for a particular history list.

The first part of this paragraph is not a proposal.  It describes
how `history-length' already uses the property of the history symbol.
The Lisp code of `add-to-history' Kim submitted to this list,
demonstrates very simple implementation of this functionality as:

    (or (get history-var 'history-length) history-length)

I proposed to do the same for history-delete-duplicates,
i.e. to use the following condition in `add-to-history':

    (or (get history-var 'history-delete-duplicates) history-delete-duplicates)

So my proposal is not very complex, and I don't think Richard replied to
my email.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/