Re: comint-insert-input on non-command lines: A trivial fix, a quibble,

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: comint-insert-input on non-command lines: A trivial fix, a quibble, and a bug
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 16:18:26 +1200

 >    I see now that comint-copy-old-input did indeed copy the whole line but
 >    although the name would not suggest so.
 >
 > What it did depended on the value of comint-use-prompt-regexp.  It
 > relied on the value of the variable comint-get-old-input, whose
 > default value was comint-get-old-input-default.  Here is the
 > emacs-21.3 doc of the latter function:
 >
 >   Default for `comint-get-old-input'.
 >   If `comint-use-prompt-regexp-instead-of-fields' is nil, then either
 >   return the current input field, if point is on an input field, or the
 >   current line, if point is on an output field.
 >   If `comint-use-prompt-regexp-instead-of-fields' is non-nil, then return
 >   the current line with any initial string matching the regexp
 >   `comint-prompt-regexp' removed.
 >
 > `comint-use-prompt-regexp-instead-of-fields' is now called
 > `comint-use-prompt-regexp'.

There is also a comment by comint-use-prompt-regexp (also present in 21.3):

;; Note: If it is decided to purge comint-prompt-regexp from the source
;; entirely, searching for uses of this variable will help to identify
;; places that need attention.

I presume use of comint-prompt-regexp preceded the use of fields.
Perhaps this should be purged as there's no need to use two methods and this
would reduce the maintenance overhead.