Re: Icon for MacOS

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon for MacOS
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 13:43:45 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Kazu Yamamoto (山本和彦) <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Though the Emacs icon changed, the icon for MacOS
>> (i.e. mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns)
>> is still old.
>>
>> Mr. Kentaro Ohkouchi has kindly drawn a new icon for MacOS based on
>> the new Emacs icon. It is available from:
>
> Impressive -- but why not stick to the "horns on notebook cover"
> theme, to keep the resemblence with the icon on other platforms?

Agreed.  That being said, I like this different icon very well: in
particular the GNU-horn similarity, the E/M ambiguity and the overall
polishedness are a step forward.

But to make it stick, all icons would need to be adapted, and we are
too late in the game for that.  But I think that a variation of that
icon would probably be good for Emacs 23, so we should keep it in mind
and definitely ask the contributor both for an assignment, and whether
he would be willing to work on a complete set.

In the mean time, it would appear that something more in line with the
current icon design would be more appropriate for MacOS with Emacs 22.