Re: play-sound-file & esd

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: play-sound-file & esd
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 18:40:59 -0400

> * Richard Stallman <address@hidden> [2006-05-08 18:29:27 -0400]:
>
>     I only know that ALSA drivers allows multiple opens of the sound
>     device, and for a similar problem regarding Realplayer and esd the
>     suggested solution it to switch to ALSA drivers.  But Sam must
>     himself confirm that it indeed solves his problem.
>
> Sam, can you try this and report?

I use a vanilla fc5. I think it already uses alsa (it has alsa-lib and
alsa-utils 1.0.11 installed).

I work around the problem by running esd with "-as 2" argument: after 2
seconds of inactivity it releases the sound devices, so if esd programs
are not running, then emacs can play sounds.

if I use esdplayer to play a sound and call play-sound-file in emacs at
the same time, I get an error in emacs.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) on Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux)
http://truepeace.org http://jihadwatch.org http://ffii.org