Re: comint-insert-input on non-command lines: A trivial fix, a quibble,

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: comint-insert-input on non-command lines: A trivial fix, a quibble, and a bug
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 02:09:29 +0100 (BST)

 >    Well it fixes:
 >
 >      Yes, but if comint-use-prompt-regexp is t, then comint-insert-input
 >      does nothing even if point _is_ over input.
 >
 > Did you try it?  It does not work for me when I try it and I can not
 > see anything in Miles' code that could make it work.

Yes, but not without restarting the shell.  I see now it just tidies up
comint-insert-input.

 >    Why would they want to `adapt' comint-copy-old-input?  They seem to use
 >    comint-get-old-input which *is* stll present in comint.el.
 >
 > But no longer called by comint-get-old-input's replacement function.

What is comint-get-old-input's replacement function?

I've installed a patch which includes Miles's.  I called his new function
field-at-point rather than ield-at-pos for consistency with names like
posn-at-point and to avoid confusion with the more general meaning of
position.  Does this work as you would expect?

When comint-use-prompt-regexp is nil things should work as before.  When it
is t, you should get the old behaviour i.e output lines are copied too.

I would like to do the same for comint-send-input too.  At the moment, I can't
see an easy way to do it.