Re: comint-insert-input on non-command lines: A trivial fix, a quibble,

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: comint-insert-input on non-command lines: A trivial fix, a quibble, and a bug
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 13:09:27 +0900

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:
> looks good to me, but Stefan specifically added them on 2005-03-24:
>
>       * comint.el (comint-insert-input): Obey mouse-yank-at-point.
>
> Are you sure they are redundant?

Well with the current code, yes -- but note that the value of POS is
slightly different than it used to be in some cases because I moved the
call to posn-set-point before POS gets bound.

The call to `setq' seems clearly redundant (though in the old code it
would have been needed because the posn-set-point could have moved
point).

However now that I think about it, if EVENT is non-nil, the call to
`goto-char' in the old code would have moved point to _original_ value
of (point), not the value of (posn-point EVENT), and this is what FUN
would see.

That's I guess the right thing if `mouse-yank-at-point' is true, but
what if `mouse-yank-at-point' is nil?  How is the old code supposed to
work in that case?

[I have `mouse-yank-at-point' set to nil, and the new code seems to work
correctly for me, whereas the old code did not.]

Perhaps an explicit test of `mouse-yank-at-point' is needed?

-Miles
--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin