Re: C-f in isearch minibuffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: C-f in isearch minibuffer
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 00:52:14 +0300

>> This reminds me of another misfeature.  C-f typed at the end of the
>> isearch's minibuffer that pulls characters from the parent buffer is
>> not user-friendly.  ...  I think it is better to get rid of this
>> misfeature before this release:
>
> Why is it a "misfeature"?  It seems harmless enough...

I recall objections from Richard and Stefan about the unexpected behavior
of C-f at the end of the minibuffer:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-07/msg00164.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-04/msg00578.html

With the recent idea from Drew I now think than adding a new general
keybinding `M-.' to every minibuffer (in the next release) to pull
different things (characters, words, file names) is a good general
replacement for this feature.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/