Re: gdb call with core

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gdb call with core
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 10:26:02 -0400

Eli> What happens if you type "M-x cd RET <path-to-core-dir> RET", before
Eli> invoking GDB (you may need to switch to a buffer that doesn't visit
Eli> any file, before you invoke `cd')?  Does it work then?
>>
>> No, emacs always changes the default dir to the dir where the image resides.

Yes, and I've found it to be a pain as well.

> I can see why this is reasonable.  Why do you think it's bad?

He gave one example, there are plenty of others: I often want to run an
executable /dir1/foo under GDB (in Emacs) but in the current dir rather than
in /dir1, so I have to do M-x gdb ... and then inside GDB I need to change
back to where I was.  Also I've sometimes used .gdbinit files specific to
the place where I run the executable rather than where I compile it.

It's pretty easy to do M-x cd before doing M-x gdb (and it's not much more
typing since the extra dir you type in M-x cd is saved in the M-x gdb step)
if that's what you want, so I'd rather get rid of this annoying
`auto-cd' behavior of GUD.

        Stefan