Re: Possible `point-entered' `point-left' Text Property Bug

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Possible `point-entered' `point-left' Text Property Bug
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:53:26 -0400

            ;; Process intangibility within a line.
            ;; Move to the chosen destination position from above,
            ;; with intangibility processing enabled.

            (goto-char (point-min))
            (let ((inhibit-point-motion-hooks nil))
              (goto-char new)

    Here, inhibit-point-motion-hooks is bound to nil to avoid processing
    the intangible property.  But this also has the effect of spuriously
    calling point-left and point-entered hooks if they are defined.  I
    hacked around this by changing it to

            (goto-char new)
            (let ((inhibit-point-motion-hooks nil))
              (goto-char new)

I think that change is incorrect.  That code is supposed
to run the hooks in a controlled way.  Your change makes it
a no-op.

Why do you believe the old code is wrong?