Re: gdb call with core

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gdb call with core
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:25:29 -0400

>> It's pretty easy to do M-x cd before doing M-x gdb (and it's not much more
>> typing since the extra dir you type in M-x cd is saved in the M-x gdb step)
>> if that's what you want, so I'd rather get rid of this annoying
>> `auto-cd' behavior of GUD.

> In that case, if you just did M-x gdb, which most people would, you would
> start in default-directory which can be fairly unintuitive at times, e.g
> /usr/share/info if you are viewing Info.

Under Unix and in Emacs as well, normally things are run in the
default-directory.  So I'd find it hard to believe that people would find it
counter-intuitive.
But maybe it wouldn't always be convenient.

> The GDB manual also describes the current behaviour so that would need to
> be updated.  Despite its faults, people are used to the current bahaviour
> and I think you would get more complaints by changing it.

How 'bout the following:
M-x gdb first prompts for a directory to which to `cd', and then for
the command to run there?

Even if some people find it less convnient, at least they won't get
confused, since it makes the behavior more explicit.

        Stefan