Re: gdb call with core

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdb call with core
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 09:45:23 +1200

 > > In that case, if you just did M-x gdb, which most people would, you would
 > > start in default-directory which can be fairly unintuitive at times, e.g
 > > /usr/share/info if you are viewing Info.
 >
 > Under Unix and in Emacs as well, normally things are run in the
 > default-directory.  So I'd find it hard to believe that people would find it
 > counter-intuitive.
 > But maybe it wouldn't always be convenient.

I guess you are likening the current working directory in Unix to the
default-directory in Emacs.  However the user has to change the former
explicitly so is generally more aware of what it is. In Emacs its done behind
the users back so, for example, when I use Info its /usr/share/info when I
look at the Info directory node, and ~/emacs/info when I view the Emacs Info
manual.

 > > The GDB manual also describes the current behaviour so that would need to
 > > be updated.  Despite its faults, people are used to the current bahaviour
 > > and I think you would get more complaints by changing it.
 >
 > How 'bout the following:
 > M-x gdb first prompts for a directory to which to `cd', and then for
 > the command to run there?

Well I guess we could make C-u M-x gdb to this...

 > Even if some people find it less convnient, at least they won't get
 > confused, since it makes the behavior more explicit.

...or the Emacs tried and test way of adding yet another user option.