Re: bind faces?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bind faces?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 09:17:10 -0400

> Is there some way to get the effect of "binding" a face to a list of face
> properties or the properties of another face? That is, do something akin to
> this:

>  (let ((some-face another-face-or-a-list-of-face-properties))
>    (do-something))

I'm not sure what you expect this to do.
The lookup to map face names to visual properties is done (repeatedly)
during redisplay, so would your let-face binding only affect the visual
appearance of the face in the redisplays that take place during
`do-something' or would you want the effect to outlive the let?

E.g. in the code below:

   (let-face ((font-lock-string-face :background "red"))
     (put-text-property 1 5 'face 'font-lock-string-face))

do you expect the chars 1-5 to end up with a red background?  If so, it's
going to be difficult, because the whole put-text-property expression
doesn't currently know it's manipulating any kind of face.

        Stefan