RE: auto-update of Info dir file?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: auto-update of Info dir file?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:53:40 -0700

    > Perhaps there is already part of the mechanism for doing this.

    See install-info.

I don't see it, but I believe you. As I said, the (START|END)-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
made me think that a means of adding the entry might already exist. I guess
that's what you're confirming.

Is this means (`install-info') within Emacs itself or is it part of a make
file or shell script? I was thinking of having Emacs `info' do this for
itself automatically.

I'm not looking to implement this myself. I thought it might be a useful
mini-feature to add after the release. Might be simple to do, and could
avoid some user confusion (and editing `dir' could be error-prone).