Re: `i' missing in etc/refcard.tex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `i' missing in etc/refcard.tex
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 19:51:33 +0200

Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman wrote:
>>     If adding `i' causes the refcard to become overfull, I think we should
>>     _replace_ the "\key{search nodes for regexp}{M-s}" entry with an entry
>>     that describes the `i' command, since the latter is by far more
>>     important than the former.
>>
>> Maybe you are right.  However, it would be hard to change the translations
>> soon.  So let's leave this for later.
>
> Hard?  There are only 6 translations of etc/refcard.tex (cs, de, fr, pl,
> ru, and sk).  I submitted the following to 5 different online
> translation services:
>
>       I said, "Look up a subject in the indices."
>
> and got the following results:
>
> de (German)   Ich sagte, "schauen Sie oben ein Thema in den Indizes."
>               Ich habe gesagt, "Aussehen auf ein Thema in den Indizes".
>               Ich sagte, „schauen Sie oben ein Thema in den Indizes.“
>               Ich sagte, "Schlagen Sie ein Thema in den Indizes Nach."
>               Ich sagte, "schauen Sie oben ein Thema in den Indizes."
>
> fr (French)   J'ai dit, "recherchez un sujet dans les index."
>               J'ai dit, « le Regard en haut un sujet dans les index. »
>               J'ai dit, « recherchez un sujet dans les index. »
>               J'ai dit, "Cherchez un sujet dans l'indices."
>               J'ai dit, "recherchez un sujet dans les index."
>
> ru (Russian)  Я сказал, "посмотрите вверх вопрос в индексах."
>               Я сказал, " Ищите предмет в индексах. "
>               Я сказал, «посмотрите вверх вопрос в индексах.»
>               Я сказал, "Ищите предмет в индексах."
>               Я сказал, "посмотрите вверх вопрос в индексах."
>
> Surely the native German, French, and Russian speakers on this list
> can agree on the best translation.

Can't speak for Russian, but for German and French certainly the
native speakers will agree that the above "translations" are
intolerable.

There is little sense in "agreeing" on a single sentence translation
when it is easy enough _giving_ such a sentence.

> That leaves just cs (Czech), pl (Polish), and sk (Slovak).
>
> (I hoped that the direct quote and imperative voice would make it
> simple to extract the relevant part of the translation.

That is assuming that the imperative voice would be the correct choice
for such a table.  Which would be wrong in most languages _including_
English AFAICT (it's just that in English many forms look the same).