Re: gdb call with core

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gdb call with core
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 23:37:41 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Klaus Zeitler <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 08:14:03 +0200

>     Eli>
>     Eli> I can see why this is reasonable.  Why do you think it's bad?
>
> I hope I didn't say "bad", I just wanted to point out that it's sometimes
> a bit inconvenient.

``Bad'' as in ``inconvenient''.

> Besides the current behavior is also sometimes a bit confusing. For example
> last Friday I tried to look at an emacs core (in my current directory where
> emacs had just written the core) with "gdb path-to-emacs/emacs core". After a
> short glance I decided to take a closer look, which for me means I need emacs
> with gud, so I started emacs in this directory and tried the same command that
> I had just executed in the shell and now emacs couldn't find the core.

It takes time to get used to the notion that in Emacs, you are always
in the directory of the current buffer.  When you do get used to it,
things like that really make sense to you.

In other words, the fact that you invoked Emacs from some directory
says nothing at all about what will be the value of PWD for some
arbitrary Emacs command.