Re: turn-on-*-mode

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: turn-on-*-mode
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:29:26 +0200

Sam Steingold wrote:
* Richard Stallman <address@hidden> [2006-05-16 00:28:34 -0400]:

    What is the policy on the turn-on-*-mode and turn-off-*-mode functions?
    Which modes get it and which don't?

We don't need to have a general policy.

OK, so if I want turn-on-flyspell-mode, do I just add it?
I think that even if Richard says that we do not need a general policy there are some advantages (and some drawbacks too of course) with having similar structures. The main advantage in my opinion is usability. Similar structures reduces unnecessary complexity. It is therefore more easy to remember for a user if things works in a similar way.

At least I want people using this software to be able to do things easily. That way I hope they are doing more of the things I like.