Re: ChangeLog conventions: fill-column

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: ChangeLog conventions: fill-column
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:00:17 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> recently some people (Stefan, Kim) reformatted my ChangeLog entries.
>> My `fill-column' in ChangeLog buffers if 74 which is the default from
>> `change-log-mode'[1].  Am I missing some coding convention for Emacs
>> ChangeLog files?
>
> I don't recall when this started, but we now allow max 79 characters
> per line in Emacs ChangeLog files (I see a few lines of 80 chars,
> but I'm not sure that is really ok).
>
> IMO, we should have a file-local setting to reflect this.

  BTW, what is the rational of setting `fill-column' to 74 ?

  AFAIK, such a `fill-column' was used  only in mails or news to allow
  easy replies under 80 columns.

  I don't see the point here, any clue ?

--
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |   Would someone please DTRT with this  |
 |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007   |         then ACK?                      |